Want to watch your rankings rise in Google and other search engines? Then follow these ten strategic points.
1) Get natural backlinks. It’s a straightforward process to get interviewed by websites. Add yourself to some business Facebook groups and watch out for opportunities.
2) Have more pages. The more pages on your website the better it is for your SEO.
3)Use a dot-com or dot-net extension. If it’s local business a country specific domain will work just as well.
4) Use schema dot-org. Schema markup is a way for search engines to make sense of content in your HTML. For implementation check out this great guide.
5) Try to get press. Find a journalist interested in your angle and reach out to them. Make sure you do your research, a personalized email to someone who is interested in your business is far more valuable than spamming a multitude of people.
6) How to write your URLs.
- Use stop worlds like and or the
- Make your urls overly long. Shorter > longer
- Uses spaces to separate words
- Front load keywords. Keywords in the URL show up in search results,
- Match URLs to titles most of the time (when it makes sense)
7) Use sitemap.xml
A sitemap is a map of all the urls in your site which helps inform search engines what URLs are on your website, this is important so they don’t miss any. What’s great about using XML sitemap is that you can add include extra info which helps the search engine crawl your website and find new pages quickly. The XML sitemap allows you to specify additional information about each URL. It won’t necessarily improve your ranking but it will help your new content be found faster.
Here’s a great site to show you how to set up an XML-Sitemap
8) Add OG Meta Tags. Open Graph META tags allow you to control what content shows up when a page is shared on social media eg Facebook/Twitter. This can be found in the head section of your page.
9) Research your competitors. Pieter Levels gives great advice on bootstrapping, his advice on SEO:
“Research your competitors. See how the best build their sites. Make sure your pages are objectively better than everyone else.”
10) Diversify. As with anything in life the more you can Diversify, the better protected you’ll be from change.